Video not working using Pidgin from PPA (GTalk)

Gabriel Rossetti rossetti.gabriel at
Wed Mar 27 00:23:15 EDT 2013

I just installed Ubuntu 12.10 on a new computer and wanted to use Pidgin as
my messenger app. I used the official Pidgin PPA and installed version
2.10.6. I tried to get the video/audio support working with GTalk but it
doesn't work, I see no errors, there just isn't the option. I had this
working in the past using 2.6.x if I remember correctly. I read on the
internet that I need H264 GStreamer codec, thus I should install
gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly and gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg, which I have already,
no change. I have tried changing the SSL config as some suggest, no change.

I can get it to work using Empathy however, so I assume I have all the
codecs installed and working.

Has anyone gotten this to work recently?