Pidgin Question

John Kellogg john.kellogg at
Fri Aug 16 17:59:57 EDT 2013

Hi Mark,

I am using a Javascript command via a Firefox bookmark that calls xmpp to IM someone. The xmpp part of the javascript is like this for example:

'xmpp:'+email.value +'?message;body=Hello '+name+'. SR# '+SR.value+' needs First Contact done. Please update when you have a chance. Thanks.'

But when saving this as a bookmark, Firefox converts all spaces to %20 so what ends up being sent to Pidgin is text like this

Pidgin takes the %20 literally and does not interpret it as the space character.

I came up with a solution in Pidgin by using the Text Replacement plugin and adding a replacement that converts the %20s to a space. This works fine for me.

John L. Kellogg