Pidgin Refresh

Brian Morrison bdm at
Sat Oct 27 15:09:09 EDT 2012

On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 19:54:31 +0100
David Woolley <forums at> wrote:

> Brian Morrison wrote:
> > On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 15:44:54 +0100
> > David Woolley <forums at> wrote:
> >
> >> Unless a library offers a fundamental advantage, one
> >> should stick with the tried and trusted ones.
> >
> > Except that your distro has probably updated to new versions because
> > they keep track of the latest upstream.
> >
> The better ones keep the older variants, although they may cease to be
> part of the default installation.
> Note, we are talking about non-backward compatible steps, which
> generally have different .so names, not maintenance versions.

Indeed. What usually breaks it for me is when the distro has changed
the current version to a compat version, introduced something new and
the package I want to rebuild is looking in the wrong .pc file for
which headers to use when building. It usually takes a while for some
maintainers to catch up.

Brian Morrison

                                                          Oscar Wilde