skype and gamespy arcade IM networks

David Woolley forums at
Mon Jun 25 03:13:52 EDT 2012

David Woolley wrote:
> Zeb Cameron wrote:
>> Why not just add skype and gamespy arcade IM networks?

I missed the reference to Skype.  Skype fails on this point:

> If they use a proprietary protocol, you will need to provide a pointer
> to where technical details of the protocol can be found in the public
> domain (from a confidentiality point of view).  You will then need to

The Skype protocol is a trade secret.  The only way of accessing it is
through the Skype API, and that is incompatible with the GPL licence
used for the Pidgin code, at least from a political point of view (it
would require Pidgin developers to develop and supply non-GPLed code).

There is an independent Skype plugin.  I don't know if an how that
resolves the licensing issues.  It is often possible to create a helper
program that interfaces to a proprietary library and then provides a
public interface.  However suppliers of proprietary libraries often
outlaw that.