Pidgin and Jabber

Daniel Atallah datallah at
Wed Aug 29 18:22:39 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 5:56 PM, John A. Wallace <jw72253 at> wrote:
> [...]

You wouldn't have needed to put anything in that field in that past
(and you wouldn't need to now if you weren't using Tor).
I tried to explain why you need to do it in my initial response - the XMPP server moved to a different server than what resolves to and in order to find it, we need to do a SRV
DNS lookup to find it (which isn't possible to do though a SOCKS5
proxy (Tor in your case)).
OTR shouldn't be impacted by this as far as I know - OTR operates on
the stream sent to/from the server rather than caring about the
specific server you're connected to.