AOL logon problem

Mark Doliner mark at
Wed Apr 11 16:15:46 EDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Tom Henderson
<thenderson at> wrote:
> Error requesting Unable to connect to; SSL peer presented an invalid certificate.

This error means that Pidgin thinks the SSL certificate used by is invalid.  It's not
clear what aspect of it is invalid... you could turn on Help-->Debug
Window and try signing in again.  It might print a more detailed error

I'm guessing one of the servers that hosts
really does have an invalid SSL certificate.  This is not a bug in
Pidgin--it's a bug in AOL's servers.  You can try working around this
by modifying your account settings and unchecking "Use clientLogin" in
the Advanced tab.

As a side note, I think AOL's servers have been a little more
unreliable than usual over the past few months.  As in maybe 1% of
logins fail rather than .2% (these numbers are guesses and surely