qq in pidgin

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sat Oct 9 17:02:07 EDT 2010

christian wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm unable to connect to my qq account in pidgin.
> I'm using the latest ppa version 2.7.3 in Ubuntu..
> It sais "connecting" for about 2 minutes, then "disconnected", and
> "server closed the connection".
> I chose protocol version QQ2008.
> I could not find any successful information about how to connect in pidgin..
> Since QQ is in the home page list <http://www.pidgin.im/> it should
> work, shouldn't it?
Not necessarily.  Instant Messaging service operators change their
protocols without telling open source developers, and often don't
encourage third party clients.  Such a change certainly happened to QQ
earlier this year.  I'm not sure if any Chinese open source developer
has started working on the problem.

Have a look at the bug tracker.  I would hope there is a bug report for
this, and it might tell you if someone is working on it.