Invalid certificate

Elizabeth Burton ea.burton at
Fri Nov 19 12:38:57 EST 2010

Tried 2 different methods shown, and it will work for a while, then next time it connects the same issue occurs.  Then suddenly it will just solve itself.  I can’t see any rhyme or reason for it.  Its just constantly messing up and its making pidgin unuseable

From: Jason Davis [mailto:jason at]
Sent: 19 November 2010 11:33
To: Elizabeth Burton
Subject: Re: Invalid certificate

Give this ago it worked for me :)

Jason Davis

On 18 Nov 2010, at 22:10, "Elizabeth Burton" <ea.burton at> wrote:

I run 2 msn accounts thru pidgin.  This afternoon I started getting

Your MSN buddy list is temporarily unavailable. Please wait and try again

And had a pop up with this

SSL Certificate error

Unable to validate certificate

The certificate for could not be validated. The certificate chain presented is invalid

It causes the accounts to  disconnect.  Then for no reason will disconnect. And it doesn’t always effect both accounts at the same time.

However when it attempts to connect it still kicks me off of windows live so it must be getting some where.

Please help cause i hate msn.

Pidgin 2.7.5 (libpurple 2.7.5)

Build Information
Plugins: Enabled
SSL: SSL support is present.
GTK+ Runtime: 2.16.6
Glib Runtime: 2.20.5

Library Support
Cyrus SASL: Enabled
Gadu-Gadu library (libgadu): Internal
GtkSpell: Enabled
GnuTLS: Disabled
Network Security Services (NSS): Enabled
Perl: Disabled
Tcl: Disabled
Tk: Disabled
UTF-8 DNS (IDN): Disabled