John Bailey rekkanoryo at
Sat Mar 27 20:15:59 EDT 2010

On 03/27/2010 08:11 PM, Richard Azar wrote:
> I have installed Pidgin 2.5.5 on FreeBSD. It is able to log in to MSN
> but it sits in a state marked "Connecting" with Yahoo. My user name is
> richardazar at
> All of the online help pages simply assume that it will work. A google
> search revealed some dns problems with the windows version and
> recommended flushing the cache or entering a specific Yahoo server.
> There is no place to enter a specific server in this version.
> Can you help?
> Richard Azar

You need to use Pidgin 2.5.8 or newer for Yahoo to work properly.  Ideally, you
should be using Pidgin 2.6.6.  You *can* enter specific servers on the account's
Advanced tab, but you should *not* change from the default.  If by chance Pidgin
2.6.6 is not available via ports, you can compile and install from source; you
may need some additional libraries that Pidgin 2.5.5 did not require if you wish
to use the XMPP voice and video support, or you can simply pass --disable-vv to
the configure script.

In case it's not clear, you should be able to use your full username, including, when setting up your account.  If your account was an account, you would not include the