Pidgin problems.

Paul Aurich darkrain42 at
Tue Mar 16 17:13:37 EDT 2010

On 2010-03-16 12:48, Soul Quenching wrote:
> Hello,
> Every time I go to start Pidgin, I immediately get a "Pidgin has stopped
> working" alert.  I've rebooted a few times and still no luck.  Last
> night I downloaded the latest version of Pidgin, hoping it would correct
> it... no help.  I've used Pidgin on this computer for nearly a year
> without any problems and haven't made any major changes lately that
> would cause a conflict. How can I fix this without uninstalling and
> redownloading Pidgin again? I don't want to lose my settings, chat logs,
> etc.  Thanks, I appreciate your help.

Reinstalling does not impact your settings (which are stored in the
%APPDATA%\.purple folder on Windows).

In any event, reinstalling without wiping out your settings is not
likely to resolve the crash.

Follow the directions at to get a
crash report and send that back; it will provide more information about
why Pidgin is crashing.