SSL Handshake Error.

Paul Aurich darkrain42 at
Sat Feb 13 12:34:32 EST 2010

And Subramaniam Iyer spoke on 02/13/2010 05:48 AM, saying:
> Hi,
> Am trying connect to a private XMPP server using pidgin on ubuntu and
> it errors out with " SSL Handshake Error". This works when I use
> pidgin on a windows platform. Any assistance would be appreciated. (Am
> trying to move away from Windows to Ubuntu :) ).
> Details as below:
> uname -a output:
> Linux si-ubuntu 2.6.31-19-generic #56-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jan 28 01:26:53
> UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
> Pidgin Log Output : <<have replaced the chat server and domain names
> with "chat" and "domain" respy.>>

Hi, there are a few things you can do to diagnose this issue:
  * What domain is this actually?  If you'd like, you can send me a direct
email and tell me.
  * Set PURPLE_GNUTLS_DEBUG to 4 or 5 (it's an environment variable) and
get another debug log.
  * Get a packet capture of this (via tcpdump) (this will also reveal the
domain and chat server)

The reason it works on Windows is that, on Windows, pidgin uses a different
SSL library (NSS) than your version was built with (GnuTLS).