pidgin crashes with 'pidgin: symbol lookup error: pidgin: undefined symbol: purple_contact_get_group'

Kevin Stange kstange at
Thu Aug 19 11:37:21 EDT 2010

On 08/19/2010 10:30 AM, Jerome Haynes-Smith wrote:
> Hi all
> I have compiled pidgin 2.7.3 (x64) and I can reproduce a crash every time.
> ./configure with no changes to any defaults
> clean compile
> make, make install

You need to remove your old Pidgin and libpurple system packages to
prevent the new Pidgin binary from using old library versions:

> jeromesm at darkstar /usr/local/bin $ ldd pidgin
> => /usr/lib/ (0x00007fa848dce000)

Your /usr/local/bin/pidgin is trying to use /usr/lib/
instead of /usr/local/lib/