Can't add friends to Yahoo id in pidgin

Daniel Atallah datallah at
Wed Aug 18 17:49:55 EDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 16:19, V S Rawat <vsrawat at> wrote:
> On 8/19/2010 1:17 AM India Time, _Daniel Atallah_ wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 15:41, V S Rawat<vsrawat at>  wrote:
>>> I am not able to add any ids of yahoo in pidgin. it invariably says some
>>> problem with server while rest of things are working.
>>> seems it is some yahoo's whim that they will allow addition only thru
>>> their
>>> own messenger. So, while using pidgin, if I get a yahoo id to add, I have
>>> run yahoo messenger.
>>> has anyone found a way out for this? please share.
>> Are you trying to add the users as "username at" or as "username"?
>> If it is the former, try the latter.
> yahoo ids can have domain as,, and many more
> for almost all countries, if I give only username, it will assume only
> which might not be the correct id.

Please reply to the mailing list and not to me directly.

Yes, there are subdomains for yahoo ids, but many of them are required
to be unique e.g. "username at" and "username at"
cannot both exist - you would just use "username" for both.  (See

I don't know if there is a magical way to know which subdomains are ok
to exclude and which are not.