Pidgin in english

Matthias Apitz guru at
Tue Oct 13 10:16:51 EDT 2009

El día Tuesday, October 13, 2009 a las 02:52:20PM +0200, Anna Schnauder escribió:

> Hello,
> I have been using pidgin for a year now. Till yesterday always in english.
> Yesterday I downloaded the new client and installed it. Now I have to use it
> in German! Is there a possibility to get pidgin in english (I didn't find
> any link where I could get it in english, it always downloaded the german
> version)? It's not that I don't understand German (it's my mother tongue)
> but since I work in the IT I am used to working with english software (and
> not with german). Could you please help me??
> Regards
> Anna

Hi Anna,

I've similar problem: I want to have it in Spanish, and not in English;
I compiled 2.6.2 from the sources and this installs all languages
message objects below /usr/local/share/locale, for example:

find /usr/local/share/locale -name

but Pidgin is not using them; I've watched with truss(1) what it is
doing after launch, and it does not look for these files:

$ truss -f -o /tmp/tr pidgin
$ fgrep /tmp/tr
(shows nothing)

So I'm a bit clueless how this is supposed to work (and have not enough
time to dog through all the sources :-( )

Maybe some kind soul could sheet a bit light onto this darkness;