Trouble with Pidgin

David Woolley forums at
Sun Oct 18 11:33:02 EDT 2009

James Fleming wrote:

> (09:41:46) *util:* Writing file prefs.xml to directory
> C:\Users\Jaemz\AppData\Roaming\.purple
> (09:41:46) *util:* Writing file
> C:\Users\Jaemz\AppData\Roaming\.purple\prefs.xml
> (09:41:51) *jabber:* Sending: <iq type='get' id='purpleee29376b'
> to='jaemz'><vCard xmlns='vcard-temp'/></iq>
> *(09:41:51) g_log: file win32/libc_interface.c: line 398
> (wpurple_write): *should not be reached*

You have a prima facie case for raising a bug report.  However, you are
not using the current version, so you should first check whether it has
been fixed.

(When a program logs a message like this "should not be reached" one, it
means that something has happened that is believed to be logically
impossible.  It may only have got there because of a configuration
problem, but the code needs fixing so that the resulting error is
handled properly, even if only to produce a better error message.

In this case, it is trying to write to a file or network connection that
has failed to open.  Is the log complete, as I would have thought you
should have seen something reported about attempting the connection/open.

Line 398 is not the point at which the error occurs, but the point at
which it has just done a defensive check and discovered that the file
descriptor isn't open.)