best way to copy a compiled pidgin to another netbook?

Matthias Apitz guru at
Sat Oct 3 02:32:43 EDT 2009

El día Friday, October 02, 2009 a las 09:22:58PM +0100, David Woolley escribió:

> Matthias Apitz wrote:
> >Is there some way to make a distribution of the compiled workspace and
> >move it as a tar ball to the EeePC for installation? Thanks in advance
> >for any hint.
> I haven't tried this for Pidgin, but Pidgin's Makefile has a variable,
> DESTDIR, that looks as though it provides a false origin for installing.

This seems to work in parts. I've set for a test and run 'gmake install'
as normal user:

$ DESTDIR=/tmp/local export DESTDIR
$ gmake install

this gives file below /tmp/local:

$ find /tmp/local/

but the installation fails for libpurple:
Making install in plugins
Making install in perl
Files found in blib/arch: installing files in blib/lib into architecture
dependent library tree
ERROR: Can't create '/usr/local/lib/purple-2/perl'
Do not have write permissions on '/usr/local/lib/purple-2/perl'

I'll try to move the full source tree to the EeePC and try the 'gmake
install' there...

Thanks for your hint.

Matthias Apitz
t +49-89-61308 351 - f +49-89-61308 399 - m +49-170-4527211
e <guru at> - w
Vote NO to EU The Lisbon Treaty: