Legality of .NET Messenger (MSN Messenger) with Pidgin/GAIM

David Woolley forums at
Sun Jun 28 04:26:38 EDT 2009

I've been using GAIM to access .NET Messenger from Linux, but have just
upgraded my Windows partition to XP.  When I tried to log in to MSN
Messenger, it said there was a mandatory upgrade, which I downloaded.

I am one of those people who actually reads small print, so I read the
licence terms and it seems to say that I may not use unauthorised
clients to access .NET Messenger.  Not unsurprisingly, Pidgin/GAIM is
not amongst the small list on their authorised clients sites.

I abandoned the install to avoid agreeing, until I'd researched the
issue more.

Is there any news on this restriction?