Pidgin 2.5.8 released

John Bailey rekkanoryo at
Sun Jun 28 18:33:51 EDT 2009

Hi, everyone.

We have pushed source and Windows binaries for Pidgin 2.5.8.  They should be
available now.

Here is the ChangeLog as requested previously:

    * Fix misparsing a web message as an SMS message. (Yuriy Kaminskiy)

    * Increase NS command history size to prevent crashes on buddy lists that
      have a lot of buddies on other networks like Yahoo!.

    * Accounts with empty buddy lists are now properly marked as connected.
    * Fix receiving messages from users of MySpace IM's web client.

    * Fixed phantom online buddies.  They should now properly disappear when
      signing out.
    * Fixed the crashes some users were seeing with in
    * Fixed compiling on systems with glib 2.4.x or older.
    * Fixed an issue with file transfers.  This may not resolve all issues,
      but it should resolve at least some of the most common ones.
    * The pager server will automatically update to if the
      user empties the field or if it is  This should ease
      the pain of transition to the new login method.

    * Fix an incompatibility betweeen Prosody and libpurple clients.

And here is the corresponding entry from the NEWS file:

    John:  This release is another somewhat rushed bugfix release to fix
    a number of bugs that have come up since we released Pidgin 2.5.7.
    Hopefully anything I broke there is fixed now, or at least made to be
    less broken.  Enjoy!

Enjoy this release.