Finch: questions on development, usage, etc

Sadrul Habib Chowdhury sadrul at
Tue Jun 23 13:16:10 EDT 2009

* Daniel had this to say on [23 Jun 2009, 10:00:46 -0700]:
> Hi,
> I'm currently trying out finch for the first time. I spent some time
> last evening with it, and now I have some questions. I come from using
> centerim (, another console IM client.
> 1. Is it being actively developed? Are new features being added etc.

> 2. Are patches actively accepted for it by users?

Yes! If you are interested, you can write a patch for a bug, or a new
feature you want, or for a ticket from this list:

> 3. Can I rename a contact in the buddy list? Try as I may, I can't seem
> to remember the ICQ UIN's for all my friends :)

Use the context menu (ctrl+x).

> 4. I'm using osx, and I can't seem to get any of the windows to have
> menues as invoked by Ctrl+o. What windows should I expect to have menus?
> This is the same for F11.

The buddylist and the conversation windows have menus. I don't know why
Ctrl+o or F10 (those are the default key-bindings, not F11) don't work.
Try binding some other key for the 'show-menu' action on windows (read
the manpage to see how).
> 5. Since I can't get window menues etc, I don't know if this is
> possible, but how I can I access the logs for a chat window?

Yes, from the menu of the window! If you have the chat in the buddylist,
then also from its context menu.