buddy list groups - question

Brian Morrison bdm at fenrir.org.uk
Wed Jan 21 18:09:09 EST 2009

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 20:57:12 -0800 (PST)
jimspoon <jsw8591 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've used a number of IM clients.  I think I made buddy list groups in
> another IM client.  But when I run Pidgin and add my various IM accounts
> (YM, Gtalk, AIM, ICQ), the buddy groups that I've made in other clients show
> up in my Pidgin buddy list.  How is Pidgin aware of the groups I've set up
> in other IM clients?  Do the IM services store a group name with every
> client, so that when Pidgin retrieves their buddy lists, it gets a group
> name for each client?

Yes, that's exactly what the various services do, but Pidgin also
allows you to back up your buddy list locally in case something really
bad happens.

Brian Morrison

   "Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud;
    after a while you realize you are muddy and the pig is enjoying it."