creating a plug-in for pidgin

Robert Bailey gregole at
Tue Feb 10 10:32:49 EST 2009

Hi, I could use some help.

I am using pidgin for my research; my goal is to create a client-side plug-in for pidgin related to language identification and automatic translation of international text.  I would really like some advice on where to start as far as creating a plug-in for pidgin.  My application will be in PERL and python.  Ive never actually written a plug-in for an open source project before; the plug-in either needs to interface with my application or my application itself needs to be able to interface with pidgin.  Any advice would be useful.  Thanks!

Twice the fun—Share photos while you chat with Windows Live Messenger.