Is there an actual tutorial somewhere?

Richard Lemert Richard.Lemert at
Mon Feb 9 12:04:17 EST 2009

Last Friday I installed Pidgin on my WindowsXP system so I could chat with one of my clients. His company uses SameTime, and someone pointed out that Pidgin supports this protocol. I've even managed to send my contact a test message - and received a response, but the process has been PAINFUL! Furthermore, none of the resources I've been able to find on-line have been very helpful - including the "user's guide" and the FAQ on For example, the user's guide says the following: "Use the Account Editor (Accounts->Add/Edit) to add the account of the appropriate messaging service." There's nothing here though that tells me where to find the "Account Editor".

  Is there a nice, simple tutorial somewhere that tells/shows you how to use the program??????

Some specific questions/comments:

- When I launch the program I get a bare window with a drop-down at the bottom that says "Available". I assume this is supposed to contain my buddy list, but nothing I do on the main screen in this window (double-click, right-click) causes anything to happen.

- After much searching I finally found the Pidgin link in my system's tool tray. This, in fact, is what allowed me to add a SameTime account and to send a new message.

- So far I haven't been able to find anything that resembles "add name to buddy list".

  Like I said earlier, a nice, simple tutorial - preferably one complete with screen shots - would really help me figure out how to use this tool.

  (BTW - I was originally directed to<> for the downloads, but I couldn't find anything there that looked reasonable. I did eventually find, which looks like it's the official pidgin site. Did someone tie up the former so you can't use it?

Rich Lemert

Richard M. Lemert             Synopsys, Inc.
Sr. Design Consultant         1101 Slater Road, suite 300
919/425-7321 (office)         Durham, NC 27703
919/696-2103 (cell)