Backup question

Paul Aurich darkrain42 at
Wed Dec 9 22:59:02 EST 2009

And Programmer In Training spoke on 12/09/2009 07:46 PM, saying:
> Eric Bernier wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Thanks for your rapid answer.  The computer I want to reinstall is now on
>> Ubuntu 8.04 - Hardy Heron (April 2008) and I don't find anything in my
>> "personnal folder" or the files you tell me...  Sorry.  I want to
>> reinstall
>> the same Ubuntu.  I maybe tried to don't give enough informations for
>> you to
>> help me.  Sorry.
> Are you using Windows or Ubuntu right now? The directions I gave tell
> you where .purple is on Windows XP. If you cannot find some of the
> folders I'm telling you about, you need to unhide all system folders on
> Windows, or search for the file and folder names I gave you.

The folder is located in ~/.purple (where "~" is shorthand for /home/<your
username>) on Unix. It's a dot-folder, so is typically hidden from GUI file
browsers by default.

PiT, Eric never said he was using Windows (in fact, he mentioned he was
using Ubuntu multiple times).