Meanwhile and Pidgin

Stu Tomlinson stu at
Tue Oct 21 19:47:11 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 17:43 -0500, Unix Friend wrote:
> Hi there,
> I'm a new Pidgin user.   I yum installed meanwhile*, rpm -ivh'ed
> gaim-meanwhile-"latest version", grabbed the source bzip2 tarball for
> pidgin from sourceforge, installed all gnutls, etc. dependencies,
> configured, make, make install (no problems whatsoever) and thought
> I'd have a working Pidgin with Meanwhile libraries and plugin to allow
> me to use Sametime.
> Unfortunately, that is not the case.  My config.h shows meanwhile=yes
> and the CFLAGS and LDFLAGS for MEANWHILE are set.
> When I start Pidgin up, I have no Sametime symbol when I try to Manage
> Accounts and Add a new account.  I successfully added my Yahoo, GTalk
> and MSN accounts, but am stymied by the lack of Sametime.
> I found the following helpful walkthrough:
> Following this for RHEL 5.2 doesn't produce a working Pidgin with
> Sametime support.
> What am I doing wrong?  Am I missing something?  What should I post to
> help troubleshoot?

Sametime/Meanwhile support is included in our official RPMs for RHEL 5,
see for download details. The way
we split the RPMs, you will need to "yum install libpurple-meanwhile"
once you have our repository added to your configuration.

You don't need any gaim* things installed, and you would be best to
remove the pidgin you built from source (using 'make uninstall' in the
source directory you installed from).

I don't think that "helpful walkthrough" is actually helpful at all,