[Question #37941]: Cannot create functional account

Evan Platt evan at espphotography.com
Tue Jul 1 16:30:10 EDT 2008

Phil Kimmins wrote:
> I find none of the above "solutions" helpful with regard to setting up a workable account. The answers provided are usually one-liners very short on detail.
What "Above solutions"?

> My questions:
> 1. When setting up an account, do I use the account details provided by my ISP?
What account are you trying to set up? AIM? Yahoo? ICQ? You'd use
whatever details you used when setting up the IM account.

> 2. I selected the SIMPLE protocol. Is this the correct option? I am running Ubuntu 8.04
Do you have a SIMPLE account? Enter the details for that account.

> 3. If the "Add a Buddy' option is greyed out, why?
My guess is you haven't added any accounts.

> If, in my questions, I have neglected anything needed to set up my account, could you please correct that oversight in your answer?
In general, you don't set up an account in pidgin - you enter the
account details. For example in Pidgin, I use Yahoo, AIM, and ICQ. I
create a Yahoo IM on Yahoo's servers, then enter this information in Pidgin.