pidgin can not display chinese character under vista

Luke Schierer lschiere at
Thu Feb 28 05:45:53 EST 2008

Xinhua Ji wrote:
> Hi,
> I downloaded pidgin 2.3.1 and installed on vista. Chinese characters in
> contacts name can not be displayed (see attached screenshot). The
> conversation window also can not display chinese until I uncheck
> "preference/conversation/font/use font from theme" and choose a font
> "simsun". However, this does not solve the contacts name problem.
> I am running Vista Enterprise. The same package works well in XP.
> I googled a lot and tried something like putting "gtk-font-name =
> "SimSun 12" " in .gtkrc-2.0 under %userprofile% directory, while it does
> affect something but still not chinese characters.
> Anyone can suggest where to look at this problem?
> Thanks,
> Xinhua Ji

Pidgin can display Chinese characters, if you have the fonts for them,
and if gtk can find those fonts.

I'm afraid I do not know how to make gtk see more of your installed
fonts on a windows system.