[Question #42611]: Encrypted log files?

Brian Morrison bdm at fenrir.org.uk
Wed Aug 20 03:53:14 EDT 2008

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 07:30:33 -0000
l33ting disorder <question42611 at answers.launchpad.net> wrote:

> It seems that with filesystem-level encryption, I'd need to enter my
> password in order for pidgin to be able to write the logs.
> I'd like pidgin to be able to write to the log dir without me having to
> enter my password, but require a password to read from the log dir.

Well, if you are using filesystem encryption and want everything to
work without any pass-phrase, how does that count as extra security?

Security is an entire process, and using it requires discipline and
commitment. Otherwise you don't have anything but false security.

Brian Morrison

   "Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud;
    after a while you realize you are muddy and the pig is enjoying it."