Pidgin Psychic Mode is not working

John Bailey rekkanoryo at
Thu Aug 7 23:34:43 EDT 2008

funnyjunk wrote:
> Hey guys,
> First post here.  Just switched over to pidgin and psychic mode is not
> working for me.  It worked once fine, then it just never worked again.  I
> reinstalled to no avail.
> Can anyone provide any help?  Thanks so much!

If the people messaging you are using libpurple-based clients like Pidgin and
Finch (and for most common protocols, Adium), then the psychic mode plugin won't
work because we don't send typing notifications over the wire until a
conversation has been established.  A boatload of the official clients, however,
do send typing notifications before the establishment of a conversation.